Wednesday, February 15, 2012

No Poo For Me!

So yesterday I wrote a post about switching from using store-bought shampoo and conditioner to using baking soda and apple cider vinegar and today was day 1 of my hair experiment. Even though my hair hasn't completely dried yet (I have very thick and curly hair so it takes awhile) I can already tell that there is a difference. My hair is a little bit frizzier than normal (which sucks), but that was to be expected until my body has returned to it's normal oil production. I have decided to stick with this hair experiment for at least three months and then I will officially decide if it is something that I will continue to do or if I will welcome my store-bought shampoo back with open arms. I am hoping that I am happy with the baking soda and vinegar because not only is it less toxic, but it will be a heck of a lot cheaper than having to buy regular shampoo and conditioner. At first I wasn't sure that I was going to notice a difference in the shower, but I definitely did. The baking soda and water mixture made my hair feel really soft in the shower. I also soaked my ends in the cup of apple cider vinegar and water mixture for a minute before dumping the whole thing on my head. I could still smell  the vinegar slightly when I got out of the shower, but nothing too bad. My hair doesn't feel as soft as it did before I made the switch, but like I said before that is supposed to change as my body gets used to the whole "no poo" thing. I typically wash my hair every other day and that is probably what I will continue to do. I plan to do an update, with pictures, about every two weeks for the three month period to show what my crazy follicles are up to. If anyone else has attempted this little experiment let me know!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment