Tuesday, February 14, 2012

For the Love of Spray Paint

My thrift store finds
A few weeks ago I made a trip to my local Goodwill and picked up a few items which included a tray, a green flower pot originally from Edible Arrangements, and a ugly decorative vase-type item, all for under $10 buckaroos. I haven't done anything to the green flower pot yet. I kind of like the lime green color and I might just leave it as is for awhile and find a cute little plant to put in it. I have a few ideas in mind for the tray, but you will just have to wait for that. The first item I conquered was the weird colored vase. I decided to go with a glossy white and see how that turned out, because I have learned that almost anything looks better once it is painted white or black.

Ugly vase before
So I went to Kmart to grab some Rust-oleum white primer and High Gloss White Spray Paint. The Kmart near us is closing soon so pretty much everything in the store is on sale, including the spray paint. I look my ugly looking vase outside and placed it on a piece of plastic (I recommend using cardboard though, it was winding and my plastic didn't want to stay on the ground) and primer away. I did two coats of thin primer and then let that dry and then did about four thin coats of spray paint. After letting that dry for a few days in the garage I brought it inside and this is what I ended up with. I think it turned out pretty well. I will probably put some pretty branches or flowers in the vase at some point but I don't have anything at the moment. But I am quite satisfied with my result. What do you think?





Vase After



No comments:

Post a Comment