Friday, February 10, 2012

To Pin or Not to Pin, That is the Question

So I admit that I have a slight addiction to Pinterest which really isn't that bad considering it's an issue that many other people are currently struggling with. I am not as bad as I was when I first discovered this amazing, yet addicting site, but there is still room for improvement. But I credit Pinterest with helping me rediscover my interest in all things crafty. I used to be a very crafty kid. I spent much of my free time making pillows and blankets for my dolls or putting together a model of Wright brother's first plane (which still sits in my dad's office to this day). I enjoyed taking on a project and seeing it come together. I have helped my mother paint many rooms in their house, I have demoed their old bathroom tile floor, risked my life putting in a new tub, and even helped install their hardwood floors. DIYing is in my blood. My mother is the queen of crafts and has always had a knack for finding the best deal and figuring a way to do things herself. I plan to be the same way when it comes to my own nest. I don't want it to look like it came right out of a boring catalog. I want my home to have character and to have a story to the pieces that end up living there. It may take a very long time to get to the point where I am satisfied with the way the house looks and now decorating and changing stuff around is more for the fun of it rather than out of necessity because it looks so horrible. My most recent project was something simple, and something I pinned (of course). It didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted it to but that is my own fault since I was kind of in a rush and didn't put in the right amount of time and effort. I also forgot to take a before picture, sorry. Basically what I did was go to the Dollar Store near my house and pick up a white porcelain mug and matching plate. I don't really recommend getting this stuff from the Dollar Store. I next time I do it I will get my plates and cups from Walmart. Then I got a black porcelain pen from Hobby Lobby. I decided to write well-known cities from around the world on both the cup and plate. Once I did that I baked the plate in the oven at the recommended temperature and time and voila! Here is the inspiration picture from Pinterest and my own version.
Pinterest Inspiration


My Version

My Version

No comments:

Post a Comment