Monday, February 13, 2012

No Poo For You!

So recently I have been hearing more and more about people who are ditching their regular shower hair products in favor of a baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Now I am no stranger to using baking soda and vinegar to clean my house. I recently emptied out almost all of my traditional cleaning products and made some of my own toxin-free household cleaners. So far I am loving the switch for those so I am thinking that I should extend my switch to include my shampoo and conditioner. As of now, Stephen and I both use Organix Teatree Mint Shampoo and Conditioner which works for my hair as well as most other shampoos but smells wonderful (basically like an Andes Mint).
 

Stephen likes using it and so far I don't have any complaints but no matter what shampoo I use and no matter how great it is supposed to be, my hair is still dry and frizzy, especially when it is humid outside. I am blessed with dark, naturally curly hair, which many women I am sure are envious of, but taking care of this mane of mine is no easy task. My hair is almost always knotty and my curls don't like to stay all nice and coiled. Sometimes I feel like my lack of control over my hair makes me seem like a teenager still. I have never had an actual "hairstyle" that requires any time of actual work besides washing and letting it air dry. The shortest my hair has ever been has been right above my shoulders but it is typically right below my shoulders. I cut my own hair to help save my cash, so I am sure if I actual shelled out some decent dough I might have greater success at finding a hairstyle that works for me but at this time in my life I just don't really want to do that. So back to the "no poo" option that I have been reading/hearing about. Basically you ditch your store bought shampoo and conditioner in favor of about 1 tablespoon of baking soda mixed in water for your shampoo and about 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with water for your conditioner. The goal is to get your body to start to take care of your hair by itself by naturally producing just the right amount of oil, the way it would have if you hadn't started using traditional shampoo and conditioner which is toxic and basically unhealthy for both your hair and your skin. Of course there is a transition period while your body and hair are adjusting to this new treatment, I have read it can last from 2 week to 2 months. My hair will probably go crazy for a little while but I am hoping it will be worth it in the end. Less toxins, less money spend on hair products, better hair, I am thinking it will be definitely be worth a few weeks of extra crazy hair. I will let you all know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment