Monday, February 20, 2012

Repurposing Empty Jars

My goal is to eventually rid my house of the ordinary packaging that everything comes in from the grocery store. I would like to have my pantry all organized and labeled and well stocked in pretty glass containers that are more attractive and healthier to keep food in. With everything that we keep in our pantries now-a-days buying a glass container for every single item will get kinda pricey. Being the cheap person that I am I have started reusing any glass jars that an item comes in from the grocery store already, some examples are pickle and olive jars, coconut oil jars, jelly jars, etc. The most difficult part of reusing these jars is to get the sticky label off the front so that you can label it yourself with whatever item you decide to put in your currently vacant jar. The easiest way I have found to do this is with regular distilled white vinegar. You can buy a huge amount at any grocery store for less than $3 buckaroos. I place enough vinegar in a container big enough to fit my jar on it's side and have the vinegar touching as much as the label as possible. After a few minutes I of the label soaking I can easily use my fingernail or a scrubber to peel the soaked part of the label off. I then turn the jar around so that any part that hasn't been soaking gets a nice vinegar bath until I have peeled the entire label off. Vinegar is also great to use to clean out the inside of the jar if it still smells like it's last occupant. If your lid happens to have the logo or info that would prefer not to see, you can spray paint the lid or even use chalkboard paint so that you can switch up the contents with having to put on a new label.
Here is my most recent jar transformation.

Before   

After
Mia is very protective of our lovely jars, now housing cashews and shredded coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment